Wednesday, June 27, 2007

So, you wanna VEG out?

A vegetarian diet has been advocated by everyone from philosophers such as Plato and Nietzsche, to political leaders such as Benjamin Franklin and Gandhi, to modern pop icons such as Paul McCartney and Bob Marley.
But, Science is also on the side of vegetarianism. A multitude of studies have proven the health benefits of a vegetarian diet to be remarkable.

It is a way that I live my life, and what I advocate to people wherever I go. EAT LESS MEAT.

I believe in doing things in a gradual way, so if you have been eating meat your entire life, I believe a weening stage is vital in adapting a more plant-based diet.

There are numerous benefits to
Plant-based diets including lower disease-promoting substances (e.g., cholesterol, saturated fat, oxidants, trans fatty acids, arachidonic acid, and total fat), BUT, also high in protective dietary factors (e.g., antioxidants, folate, soluble fiber, saponins, flavonoids, carotenoids, isoflavones, soluble fiber, and plant sterols.

Adapting is different for everyone. I took right to it, and the transition was not difficult for me. I have friend though who had a bit of a trickier time. The key is to get started. And it DOESN'T matter how old you are! Here is one personal account that I love, by Dr. Spock!

"When I was 88 years old, I gave up meat entirely
and switched to a plant-foods diet following a slight stroke.
During the following months, I not only lost 50 pounds
but gained strength in my legs and picked up stamina.
Now, at age 93, I’m on the same plant-based diet,
and I still don’t eat any meat or dairy products.
I either swim, walk, or paddle a canoe daily and I feel
the best I’ve felt since my heart problems began."

BENJAMIN SPOCK, M.D. (1903-1998)
pediatrician and author

It sometimes does take something personal, and when the rooster comes home to roost in your family, that's when a lot of action takes place.

I however am on the flip-side and say prevention is stronger than cure, so, as I said before GET STARTED! It is the best thing you can do for yourself AND your health!!

No comments: