Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Pumpkin Cake Bars with Cinnamon Icing


It's been awhile since I've updated here and would like to apologize for my absence..I've been busy yes, but that in no way implies I've stopped my fervent passion for healthy living, wellness and staying fit. So, I'm breaking my blog break with a brand spankin' new recipe for you to knock out of the park!
If you haven't noticed, it's pumpkin season, and I LOVE Pumpkin. I also love using it in simple, healthy ways in the kitchen. This is an EASY way to satiate your need for something a little sweet without sacrificing eating nasty Gluten, Grains or Dairy. These are amazing and I think you may need to make a double batch, because you will eat them...Quickly! So, this will make enough for a 13x9" pan, but if you're a bird and want less, just cut the ingredients in half and use an 8x8 pan. Either way, you'll be choking on your saliva and saying, Pumpkin Pie, whaaaaaaat?!

Yield: 18 bars

For the Pumpkin "Cake"
2 c pumpkin puree
2 c almond butter
1 c raw honey OR (I prefer) Coconut Palm Sugar (very low in the GI index scale)
4 eggs (from pastured hens!)
3 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
2 t vanilla extract OR Freshly ground vanilla beans (my preference) *you only need 1 tsp for this option*
2 t cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
1/2 t cloves

For the Cinnamon Icing
1/2 c coconut butter
1/2 c coconut oil
1/2 c raw honey OR Coconut Palm Sugar
2 t cinnamon

For the Pumpkin "Cake"
Preheat your oven to 350F.
In a medium sized bowl, combine all the cake ingredients and mix thoroughly to combine. Pour into an 13x9 oven safe baking dish (I suspect you could squeeze 24 cupcakes out of this recipe if you use a muffin tin). Bake until completely cooked through, about 30-40 minutes. Don't overcook. Check with a toothpick, when it comes out clean, its done!

For the Cinnamon Icing
In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and whisk to beat the ingredients until fluffy.

Once the pumpkin cake has cooled,(Now…if the cake isn’t completely, 100%, no doubt in your mind, cool you are not allowed to proceed. I’m telling you, if your cake isn’t cool, the icing will just slide right off into a pile of goopiness and all will be wasted. If you haven’t experienced what disastrous-ness comes from not heeded the above warning, you only need try it one time to learn.)
Spread the icing over the cooled cake and slice. Store in an air tight container the Refrigerator to keep it moist and delicious and graze as you please. These go great with green tea or organic coffee with coconut creamer! Prepare to be amazed! Enjoy!

Recipe courtesy of www.foodrenegade.com

No comments: